Featured Useless Knowledge

Canned Oxygen Canned Oxygen Could be the Next Bottle Water

The emergence of another possible billion dollar business, based on bottling and selling a natural commodity.

Are You Allergic to Electricity?

Posted by Failed Success on 03/29/06 at 02:13 PM

AllergiesItís possible that a little known allergy could be powering your pain

Millions of people all over the world suffer from allergic reactions to all forms of stimuli. Some people find they are allergic to certain types of foods, while others find that the bane of their existence comes in the form of cute and cuddly pets.

Many people, though, have begun to suspect that their chronic headaches, depression, and odd sleeping habits are the result of a stimuli found virtually everywhere; electricity.

Electro sensitivity is the word being used to describe this growing phenomenon. In essence, it is simply an allergic reaction to electricity. Electric currents and magnetic fields surround us everywhere we turn and in this day and age there are so many different forms of power and current traveling around, interacting with each other; who knows what kind of affect all this interference could cause on the human body over time.

An excerpt from a recent Globe and Mail science article explains the phenomenon in better detail:

ElectricitySymptoms of electrical sensitivity include a bewildering array of common problems most everyone feels at one time or another, such as fatigue, headaches, poor sleep quality with frequent wakefulness, ringing in the ears, depression, difficulty remembering things, and skin rashes. The list of symptoms has created speculation that some cases of sick building syndrome, where people working in buildings complain of nausea and headaches, might be due to electrical sensitivities.

Reports about sensitivity to electricity began with the introduction of computers, predating the recent spread of Wi-Fi and cell phone towers, which release a related but more powerful type of electromagnetic energy than that produced around electric wires. There have been long-running concerns about the possible health effects of electricity because it is a source of both electric and magnetic fields, invisible lines of force that surround all power lines and any power-consuming device, from the lowly kitchen toaster to a computer. Electric fields are always present near power wires and appliances, even when devices are turned off, but magnetic fields are generated only when devices are on.

The nerves in living things work on electrical impulses. So do other biological processes, such as the voltages in hearts detected using electrocardiographs. This has given rise to worries that man-made electricity fields, to which humans were never exposed before the modern era, might be biologically active, just like chemical pollutants.

It is still a matter of debate among researchers and experts as to whether electro sensitivity is a real affliction or not. Researchers have spent years studying the effects of electricity on the human body. Many of these studies were geared towards trying to discover if electricity was a cause of cancer, but recently this has shifted to learning about the physical and psychological effects of electricity on our bodies on a day to day basis.

As the debate rages on and research continues, I believe Iím going to start turning lights off and using less electricity everyday; Iíve got enough fatigue and headaches as it is.

Discuss this Story

Display Name:

Submit the word you see below:


Previous Comments

  1. My doctor thinks that electric waves may be afecting me and my immun systum.  I never heard of this befor, but no one can exsplan how or why my body reacts the way it dose.  I hope it’s not true, but maybe that could make since

    Posted by Zimirah  on  04/15/09  at  01:54 PM
  2. woke up the last four days with a ache starting near my left rear tooth, traveling towards the temple. Tis something i can handle, but it is vry uncomfortable at times. Im prone to getting heachaches though

    Posted by george  on  03/30/09  at  03:30 AM
  3. I have noticed when I am in a supermarket I get a tingy sensation in my scalp and forehead. This also happens when watching the TV & using a computer. Not only do I get this tingy sensation i get little rashs forming around my forehead.Some times I feel so alone but finding this article I feel can help me as there appears so many people affected! If anyone knows ways to suppress this feeling i would gladly receive tips to help deal with this problem!

    Posted by Desrine Smith  on  03/15/09  at  04:33 AM
  4. I too have become electrosensitive.I notice pains / tingling when near to certain mobile phone masts or WiFi transmitters in the street.The Health Protection Agency should insist on much lower exposure levels for the long-term health of the nation.
    chiropractic

    Posted by visitor  on  01/04/09  at  03:56 AM
  5. I am having great problems with ironing - using a steam iron.  I get stinging starting up my wrists and around my torso, into the legs and arms etc which lasts for many hours/days. 

    Has anyone else got this problem or can give me some information please. Thanking you.

    Posted by Lynn Robinson  on  11/17/06  at  03:41 AM
  6. “does anybody know how efficient aluminium is @ shielding electromagnetic pollution ?? “

    absolutely useless

    Posted by Bwts  on  04/12/06  at  05:05 AM
  7. I’m not worried at all about low power electromagnetic fields such as the earths upon which we evolved. My concern is having my DNA torn apart from the infinately more active microwaves from phones etc. The pre death tensions subtly applied to our modern bodies by such intense fields leave people feeling odd with such conditions as (dizziness, muscle tension/spasms,acute anxiety, tinitus etc..etc)and actual DNA damage will eventually be disclosed. I’d not be surprised if predictions of mass world depopulation was a result of race mutilated by mass tumours and or sterility as a result of this microwave/ blue tooth frenzy.

    Posted by chris harris  on  04/07/06  at  08:33 AM
  8. Well I say we just fit pi filters to our heads to filter out the interference.

    Fre-bentos anyone? =)

    Seriously though, all living things on earth have evolved within the mag field the earth generates, whether the use of AC and radio, microwaves etc has incrases the flux or is manipulating it, who can say.

    cant wait to see what happens.

    Posted by Double D  on  04/07/06  at  07:12 AM
  9. Beware the Dreaded Theet O Vac!

    Thetans are at the root of this problem.  Ask Tom.
    Ron L Hubbard was the first to see this, since then others have come on board.

    We must ‘clear’ ourselves of all Thetans and become “an operating Thetan” like Tom Cruise.

    Then we can weather this electical storm and anything else that comes to
    earth.

    Posted by Garr  on  04/06/06  at  09:11 PM
  10. Yeah, and it’s also a bad source of dor. Read Wilhelm Reich.

    Posted by Julia Capri  on  04/06/06  at  08:47 AM
  11. does anybody know how efficient aluminium is @ shielding electromagnetic pollution ??

    Posted by CHRIS HARRIS  on  04/06/06  at  08:24 AM
  12. I do believe that Microwave cookers are a cause to many aliments. Almost every home has one.

    If you had a microwave leak detector meter, and tested your Microwave for leaks, you would be very surprised how much microwaves are leaking out around your Microwave.
    Especially the older units.

    We do not hear anything about this danger because it’s close to a trillion dollar business.
    And of course the oil company’s are involved in many ways, like in the manufacturing of the materials that the Microwave ovens are made of.

    I do believe that the scientist are aware of it and are told to shut up somehow!

    I have one of course, but I do stand far away when I use it.

    Posted by Honest John  on  04/06/06  at  07:18 AM
  13. as in all fringe subjects there are those who can readily understand reality and those who never will. eg. UFO’s - The cosmos mustand does contain billions of interdimensional travellers- of course it does. Electo-sensitivity is obvious. We perform all of our thinking, moving about and bodily functions as electro-mechanical devices - So stick us in the midst of the electrical storm of everday life and of course we malfunction. I’ve personnally been completely screwed since the onset of mobiles in the U>K (ie1995). I can see no reason why anybody has difficulty understanding the phenomina ??. Perhaps even the asthma explosion has something to do with the hair-like villi (mucus- removal system) being adversely effected by static. Afterall the hair on our heads is clearly altered by airborn static ??

    Posted by chris harris  on  04/06/06  at  06:21 AM
  14. I don’t think this is a real allery, but I once had a friend who claimed he was immune to electricity...of course he was only 9 at the time, so what did he know?

    Posted by Davbmn  on  03/29/06  at  05:01 PM